Friday, July 29, 2011

Ferrofluid Imagination Window

Ferrofluid Imagination Window


In early July 2011, I was contacted about making a larger version of my current toy. So I sent her (Sherry) a big long email on how to get ferrofluid not to stain, thinking she wanted to make her own display. I included pictures of the "small, smaller, nano" exhibit as an example. To my surprise Sherry visited the exact display and knew all about it!

She explained to me that she was looking for something similar, with a small variation, as an office toy for her work place. I brainstormed and came up with rough graphic image of the "Imagination Window". She liked the concept, so I started playing.. err working.

    


I ran in to some bumps in the road making the first model, mainly with the sliding panel and adding/removing the toys from the display. Lucky, my father (Dragan) who has over 30 years in custom wood working, slapped me in the back of head a couple of times, corrected my measurements and quickly solved the problem . He did all the custom work in Pierre Cardin's Maxim's Restaurant NY, so I basically couldn't of found a better person to help me with this project lol.

After the frame was done and the bottles added, there was nothing left to do but play! A big thank you to Sherry for giving me creative freedom on this display :)

 

 

 

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Seriously cool! Great color choice. I need to get some skills in woodworking and do stuff like this.

    Q would it work as well is you used a bottle twice as big and twice as much goo (and twice the magnet strength), or does keeping it small give better results?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks John!

    Absolutely, the display can be scaled. You do however run into safety and control problems with larger magnets that are hand held. I personally like 60:1 ratio of gen3/EFH1 ferrofluid.

    ReplyDelete